Thursday, June 27, 2013

My Amp Collections

I think collecting amp is a kind of addictive disease. I know I have too many amps but I can not put my amps on ebay or give to some one -except few I grow to dislike.  I am still looking for more amps to get.  I do not like brand new amps not because it is expensive but because it does not feel "mine". When I went through all circuitry to find out faults and analyze what each circuit is doing, then I feel it "mine". Some amps I have, cost me more than perfectly working condition of same model because I had to have it at the moment.
When I was young I broke too many watches and radios to satisfy my curiosity. I got my first commissioned work ( I think wage was a cookies) of repairing transistor radio about almost 50 years ago ( 3 rd grade), I used left over copper wire to make home made soldering iron that I stuck  into fire to get hot. Then one day, I got bitten by amp bug while I was in middle school.  At that time, I made my first  real Solid state amp with my own electric soldering iron by following circuit diagram on some magazine article.  That was my turning point from tweaking my older sisters beloved Sony  9 transistor radio to all-mine-hifi. From that point. Ever since, I never got cured from amp infection.   I do not have formal electronics degree but I can bet you that I spent more time on electronics theory than any electronics college graduate. I worked all my college years ( 4+3+4 )years as audio visual electronic tech  on campus and computer networking tech. I do not have computer engineering degree but I can speak few computer languages (php, mysql htmls, some java). I am pretty advanced woodworker with all category of woodworking tools.  I built all of my office finitudes and Sam Maloof copies of tables and chairs. Formally, I am an eye doc who has chemical engineering degree.

Here is list of what I use daily;
1) Adcom GFA 585
2)Ampzilla by Great Sound of America(GAS)
3)Rotel RB 1080
4) Parasound HCA1000a
5)Sansui 1000a (Tube)
6) Denon receiver 980
7) Crate Guitar amp ( hybrid)
8) Grace Digital Tuner, Berlinger Cross over, Karaoke DVD, NAS music servers  etc..
Here are ones they might hit the sell block; ( they are just collecting dust right now)
1) Scott Stereo Master 340b (Tube)
2) Heath Kit tube amp 32a
3)Carver m1.0t MKII
4)Carver AV405
5) Carver AV505
6)Carver pm 2.0t-1000W but weighs few pounds only.
7) BK ST140
8)Audio Research D-100B
9)Audionic of Oregon BT-2 Pre amp

Here are the list of Ones I am still working on;
1) Marantz 2270 receiver ( restoration in progress, for 2 years)
2)Pass Lab Clone Class A Mosfet ( looking to get case or make one, for 3 years now)
3)Scott Stereo Master 340b- 2nd unit
4)Mark Levinson No. 331
5) Heath kit Tuner/ preamp (tube) - not even started
6) Few junk pro amps ( Crown CE2000, Crown?, Samson?) to fix incase my church needs
7) Bogen Mono tube amp (30w) to convert to guitar amp ( work in progress for 3 years)

After finishing this list, I realized that I definitely Do Not Need any more amps unless I unload some I have on ebay or some where. But prospect of getting new hunky amp all ways raise my pulse.  I am very busy with my laptop lurking around web..... I got 3rd degree ampsession.

1 comment:

  1. Due to a massive conflict i had with harman over a proceed amp5, I shared with you the 331 schematic, let me know if you get it working.

    ReplyDelete